Students have been facing the challenge of choosing a stream for their career and preparing for engineering entrances. Clearing JEE in the first attempt is a dream of many aspirants who are eyeing admissions in top engineering colleges.
Keeping the tough competition and limited seats in mind, clearing entrance exams in the first-go might be difficult but not impossible. With careful planning, dedication, hard work perseverance, students can easily crack them in the first attempt itself.
They need to follow a strict schedule to ensure that they do not miss the ship before it sails!
Furthermore, speed, consistency and discipline are also the most important attributes that they must develop and improve during this crucial phase. Self-study is as important as classroom teaching and an average of at least six hours every day is the only key to success.
To help students sail through this phase smoothly and get admissions in their dream colleges, here is a list of dos and don’ts for them.
Dos to clear engineering exams in the first attempt
- Students must design their timetable and ensure to study regularly for five to six hours every day
- They must take frequent breaks and start again
- It is crucial to be thorough with the entire syllabus and understand the exam pattern. This will help them in preparing accordingly
- They must give regular mock tests to check their speed and accuracy
- They must clear their doubts regularly. They should avoid keeping all the doubts to last minute and solve all queries regularly
- It is advisable to refer NCERT especially for chemistry and keep minimum and relevant study material
- They must prepare notes and refer to them as this will help them in memorizing faster
- Choose a coaching institute nearby to reduce travelling, stress & time
- Divide the entire course into parts and complete that part in a fixed period
- Must complete the entire syllabus well in advance so that there is ample time to revise and handle exams easily
- Perform detailed test analysis after every test
- Must assess their strengths and weaknesses both topic wise and subject wise
Don’ts to clear engineering exams in the first attempt
- Never pile up doubts
- Do not refer too many books on a single subject
- Do not refer irrelevant books by getting influenced by your peer group
- Do not devote too much time on a single topic
- Never attempt mock tests without a time limit
- These basic points are to be remembered and followed rigorously to get success in the exam.
- What to do with one month to exam
- A student should examine and analyse their common mistakes and work upon them to make a stronger case for JEE/NEET exams
- Devote more time and energy to subjects or topics that are not very strong
- Thoroughly memorize the formulas, method of calculations
- Students must create an exam-like atmosphere by taking mock tests by timing themselves as per the real exams. Students must go through the last few years' question papers and feel confident by solving them more than once before they appear for the main exams
- Students should not try solving a whole lot of problems at this stage & altogether avoid complicated problems
- Relaxing, having a good sleep, eating healthy, etc. are also very important
- It is better to stay away from social media during this time
What to do with one week to exam
- By this time, the students would have studied and revised everything and done a thorough analysis of their weaknesses and strengths by taking several mocks both topics-wise as well as subject-wise. This is not the time to learn anything new but to consolidate what one has already learnt.
- Focus on the revision of important formula steps, assumptions thus should be on top of the mind of the aspirant
- It becomes essential that the student, basis his own analysis and experience, develops a mind-set and confidence of taking up which subject to start with to get maximum right answers
- Eat healthily and practice meditation to manage stress and maintain calmness
This is a slightly modified version of an article originally published in India Today. The original article can be found at https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/tips-and-tricks/story/dos-and-don-ts-to-clear-engineering-and-medical-exams-in-the-first-attempt-1747438-2020-12-07)